Friday, March 7, 2008

Newest Addition to our Family



I have been spending most of my work life over the past 8 months on the launch of a new router at Cisco. It is a midrange router sold to enterprises and service providers. Most will not know what that means, but that is ok. Suffice it to say it is Cisco's largest product launch this year and is destined to be a multi-billion dollar product. And without routers, you would not be reading this post, because the Internet would not work!

It is called the ASR 1000 Series. Check out the site at www.cisco.com/go/asr

I am a product manager for the ASR, which means I am involved with everything from working with engineering, finance, and manufacturing, to developing the marketing plan and presenting to customers and partners.

Very cool stuff, but also very stressful at times. It is always nice to remember what really counts, which is easy to remember when I walk in the door coming home from work every day to a chorus of "Daddy!" from the boys and get to see my lovely wife.

The most important thing to remember about the ASR is that you should never try to lift one by yourself. I made this mistake. They are unbelievably heavy. The biggest one (6RU, or 6 rack units, which means it is 21 inches tall) fully-populated weighs over 100 pounds!

No comments: