Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How We Almost Ruined a Surprise Party

Tonight we're headed to Darren & Julie's for dinner. Which reminds me of a recent happening...

Julie's 30th birthday was several weeks ago, and Darren organized a surprise birthday party for her. Darren, Julie, and a couple friends were to go out to dinner and then come back to the house afterward where the suprise party would be. The surprise party guests were to arrive around 7:00.

We drove up to the house promptly at 7:00 and parked around the corner. But something didn't feel quite right. Matt and I sat for a moment in the car trying to decide what to do. Just then someone zipped into the driveway. We couldn't see who it was, but could tell there was only one person in the car. We realized it was Darren. Hmmm...

Matt got out of the car to head off Darren, who was now in the garage. Darren looked at Matt and said, "You're kidding me, right?"

Apparently we were 24 hours early for the party! Matt had even said to me that he thought the party was on Saturday, but I was pretty sure the party was Friday. And since I'm usually quite good with remembering dates, times, and such--- well, we just figured it was Friday. (I had mistakenly deleted the Evite already, so we couldn't doublecheck the date that way.)

A big oops on my part. So I spent the next day worrying that I had ruined everything and that Darren was never going to speak to me again, afraid that Julie overheard Matt and Darren chatting in the garage. Plus, it was hard breaking the news to Caleb that he had to wait until tomorrow to play with Jenny at the party. Not cool.

Julie did look surprised when she walked in the door. And the party was a lot of fun. You know, the one on Saturday.

No comments: