I have to admit, I really liked Spitzer, especially with his actions against corporate corruption. So I am terribly disappointed with what he's done. Walter Shapiro on Salon.com says it well:
Spitzer had the dream and the reputation, and he was on the cusp of getting the votes to finally move New York state politics out of the Erie Canal era. But now it all lies shattered, whatever short-term decision Spitzer makes. Reform politicians who hold themselves up as moral exemplars run the risk of not living up to their own self-proclaimed ethical standards. The financial transaction that was supposedly conducted in Room 871 of the Mayflower Hotel seems so tawdry in light of the glowing portrayal of Spitzer as "Wall Street's Top Cop" on the 2002 cover of Time magazine. The feeling of tragedy is unavoidable as the intense and wired Spitzer has gone from lion to laughingstock in just 14 short months as governor.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
so, are you guys members of salon? or just use it for free? cause if you were members, then maybe you could share your password...
:-)
Post a Comment