Monday, March 7, 2011

More Randomness

I'm assuming that my last post really left you craving to hear me talk about myself more (joking). But, alas, a few thoughts to share, in no particular order:

I recently realized that every time I toss something sizable into the recycling bin, I find myself thinking about what kind of an art project I could have done incorporating that recyclable. From time to time I go on kicks where I actually DO save the recyclables for future projects, yet somehow I typically end up with a pile of junk that clutters the house for awhile before going right back to the recycle bin. Hmmm.

Just finished reading The Good Daughter by Jasmin Darsnik.  The subtitle is "A Memoir of My Mother's Hidden Life." Great book!  I love memoirs. I happened to pick it up in Barnes & Noble, never having heard of it before, and it turns out the author currently lives in Charlottesville VA (where we used to live), and grew up in San Francisco (not far from us now).

Tomorrow I go for an eye exam, as I've been getting headaches after a short time on the computer or reading books, my eyes have been aching, and a few other eye-related complaints. I suppose I should do a follow up post to let you all know the outcome!

I am about to embark on a project that I've been wanting to do for quite some time: sew cloth napkins for Caleb & Hayden's classmates.  I'm hoping to have them done in time to give as gifts for Earth Day. I know more or less how to use my sewing machine, but I'm not very confident in it yet, particularly when it comes to troubleshooting.

For Lent I plan to fast in the afternoons.  I suppose it's not so much a fast as it is "giving up snacking,"  but the purpose is the same.  When I snack in the afternoons I am particularly prone to emotional eating in addition to trying to satisfy a bit of hunger (since my highest levels of stress usually occur that time of day- I think you SAHMs know what I'm talking about!).  I think it will be good for me to remember what it's like to be somewhat hungry for a few hours each day, plus a good time to focus on strength and coping through God, not food.

After spending an increasing amount of time scrubbing the bathrooms, and watching the boys scrub the bathrooms as well, I've decided that anybody with boys should really consider a Potty Shield (http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/Boy-Potty-Shield.html) or something like it.  While I wouldn't want to completely embarass my kids concerning our bathroom situation, suffice it to say that I am perplexed as to how one's aim actually deteriorates with age.  (Oh wait, let's be clear, I'm NOT talking about Matt-- really! I guess there is hope that after a point things will improve with the boys.) I can't bring myself to actually buy a potty shield at this point, but I'm keeping the idea tucked away in case I get really desperate.  And now that I've shared this, you'll probably never want to come stay with us within the next 12 years. =(
 
And on a more positive, less disgusting note to try to help you recover from the previous paragraph, I will share with you something Avery said today.  She heard Caleb and Hayden doing something in another room and she said, "What's that noise?" (A question she asks all the time.) I responded, "Hmmm, what's that noise?" Avery answered, "It's my boys!"  Cute. She really loves them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robyn, I totally hear you on the afternoon stress-relief snacking...maybe I'll follow your example and have a similar lenten exercise.

Mindy Sauer said...

"It's my boys!"???? HOW ADORABLE!!