Friday, February 25, 2011

Another Glimpse

Once again, regular blogging has fallen by the wayside! I am making no New Year resolution to blog more, but here I am trying to start off the new year right, as far as blogging is concerned, anyway. [Hmm, that concerted effort didn't last very long, considering that I began drafting this post on 1/7/11, and now it is 2/25 and I'm just now getting around to finishing and posting...]

Here's a summary of things in the Eubanks household of late:

Caleb: I think it's safe to say that pretty much his whole world revolves around Star Wars now. I've already been interrupted in writing this post, as I was asked to google what the stormtroopers' ships look like.  (Thank you, Wookieepedia!) I don't expect you to believe me, but Caleb has only seen 10 minutes of one of the original Star Wars movies. And yet he knows more about Star Wars than I will ever care to know, thanks to Google searches and his loving Daddy who patiently answers every question fielded to him day after day. 

I gave Caleb a haircut the other day and he requested that I cut it like Luke Skywalker's.

Yesterday Caleb brought home a page of sentences he wrote at school, where the assignment was to write sentences using the words "is in a pot."   "A stormtrooper is in a pot.  Obi Wan is in a pot. IG-88 is in a pot. Yoda is in a pot. Palpatine (yes, he spelled it perfectly) is in a pot. All of the Sith Lords are in a pot."

And if you are wondering whatever happened to Caleb's imaginary friend Jorge... well, he's still around, but with a new name: Luke!

Hayden: Hayden is also interested in Star Wars, but he is fuzzier on the details compared to Caleb. He's mostly attracted to the lightsabers, guns, and the powerful bad guys.  (It's such a reminder that boys are wired differently than girls. Because I don't get his fascination. At all.)
Now that Hayden is in preschool he is being invited to more birthday parties, and I just love how he cherishes every invitation he receives.  He carries them everywhere- taking them to bed, bringing them along on errands, etc. It's fun to see him forming his own friendships that are independent of Caleb's friends and their sibilings.

Even though it's the middle of winter, Hayden's flip flops are still glued to his feet.  I was determined that he would live one week without them while we were in Buffalo, but even while we were there and the temperature was in the 20's he was still inquiring about his beloved sandals.  I have had to hide away Hayden's shorts to put an end to our daily battles discussions about dressing appropriately for the weather.  I just know it- someday Hayden is going to be one of those sweaty, stinky teenage boys that always wears shorts no matter how cold the temperatures.

Avery:  Avery is in a phase where she changes her outfits about five times each day.  She is still reluctant to let me put any accessories in her hair, but every once in awhile she says, "I want a horsey," which means she'd like a ponytail.  Dresses are a no-go.

Avery does a good job of keeping tabs on her brothers: "Ah-dee [Hayden]!! Come over here, Ah-dee!"  Recently when I was putting her to bed, she heard Hayden start crying and she said, "Ah-dee crying. Cayco [Caleb] did it." That sounds about right.

Probably the most momentous event in Avery's recent life is her decision to use the toilet.  I had no intention of potty training until mid-February, but in mid-January Avery decided she wanted to wear underwear.  She had one or two accidents in the first few days, and has done almost perfectly ever since.  Amazing! (Though I should mention that back in September she had a brief stint with demanding to wear underwear for a few weeks.  So she was well practiced with using the toilet prior to January when she decided she was serious about no more diapers. Last time she regressed, but this time it's the real deal.)

Matt:  Matt is always up to something cool, I think.  He's been working a lot in the garage to get it organized, building shelves, etc.  He just did a fantastic job adding a backsplash in our kitchen.  He is toying with the idea of selling his Civic GX (runs on natural gas) when gas prices hit a high this summer-- he'll probably make a nice profit on the car!  And Matt is preparing to teach a marketing class online for Houghton's PACE program.  (A quick backstory to the marketing class:  One night recently, Matt and I were talking about his experience as a business major at Houghton, comparing it to Darden, etc, etc.  I made the comment, "Maybe it's time to try to help out Houghton in regards to their business department." Then we turned out the lights and went to bed. The next morning, Matt checked his email first thing and he had a message from a Houghton professor asking if he'd be interested in teaching this class. Divine timing, it seems!)

Me:  The negative part of Avery's potty training is that I am forced to face my phobia of public restrooms. Really, I'm feeling sick just writing about it. I HATE public restrooms.  And I wouldn't mind passing this phobia on to my kids, quite frankly. I admit, I have been heard in a stall saying things like, "Are you sure you just can't just hold it? Wouldn't it be so much better to poop at home? Hold on to me-- do NOT touch the toilet.  This is dirty, yucky. Oh my gosh, we're going to die!" Just kidding about the last one. I haven't said that out loud yet. It's one thing to take a boy to pee in a public RR, but taking a girl is a million times worse.  We have a fold-up potty in our car that I will keep in there for years to come. Probably the best $20 I ever spent.


On a more positive note, I am spending more time reading in the evenings. I had really gotten away from it, (aside from parenting books, which I tend to pick up when I feel like a failure as a parent) for quite some time.  I would also like to get back to learning how to use my sewing machine. I learned a bit over the summer when my mom was visiting, but I've been kind of scared to try to use it on my own.  The problem is that I keep inventing projects that involve some sewing.

I think those are the highlights from our crew! I'll try to do another blog post while it's still 2011. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love reading about your family Robbie! Thanks for the update.

Mindy Sauer said...

Your kids ate just precious, Robyn. So unique, so intelligent, so... you and Matt! I love it.

These posts make me feel like we live a little closer and I'm getting to know them everyday. Thanks :)

Miss you, friend.

Jill said...

Yay for an update! And FYI: I share all your public restrooms fears and have said the exact same thing to my girls. "Don't Touch ANYTHING!" :)