Monday, September 20, 2010

Riting Haz Nevr Bin Funr

I am LOVING the stage Caleb is in right now, where he is writing words according to the sounds he hears, but with little knowledge of advanced phonics. It's so cute to see him writing this way, especially when it is combined with his inexperience with writing in straight lines and using spaces between words.

Below is the cover of the Darth Vader story he wrote the other night.




In case you can't read it, it says, "Star Wars" "Drth Vatrs Gerat Ivenchrs" "The athr is Caleb and its ilastratid by Caleb Eubaks".  I thought I would share the story he wrote here too-- not so much because I think you all care as much as I do, but because I know the likelihood of his book being ripped, spilled on, or otherwise destroyed before I have the chance to sneak it into Caleb's keepsake box without him missing his book.  The story is rather long for a 5 year old (I think), so Caleb dictated it for me to write down in his book.  Each page has an illustration in a similar style to the one on his cover.  I think Caleb's attitude toward drawing is, "I already know that is a tree, so why should I go to the effort of making it look like a tree?" =)

Here is the story of Drth Vatrs Gerat Ivenchrs:

(page 1) Darth Vader is trying to get Luke Skywalker's attention, but he can't because Luke is fighting the red guys.  And then the white guys came and they got in trouble by the Emperor. And the white guys went to prison.
(page 2) While the white guys were in prison, the Emperor was walking around checking them in their cage. And one of the guys escaped. Then Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker came out to fight while they were looking for the guy who escaped.
(page 3) They finally found the guy that escaped. Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker were tired, so they had to go to prison too, like the guy went back.
(page 4) The four heads: The first one on the left is Darth Vader. The second one is Luke Skywalker. The third one is the guy. The fourth one is the Emperor. The square below the Emperor is where the light saber is hiding.
(page 5) Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker were tired of being in prison. They were trying to get the light saber. Luke Skywalker finally got out and he almost got the light saber until the Emperor came. Then the Emperor put Luke Skywalker back in his cage.
(page 6) Luke Skywalker had a big wall so he couldn't see anything this time.
(page 7) Darth Vader got out of his prison and he put his head in FIRE! The oven made the fire hot.
(page 8) Then Darth Vader went to the helmet store and that's when he got his helmet.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: