Friday, August 20, 2010

Our Peaceful Day

Yesterday was such an enjoyable day that I felt it was blog-worthy.  We all woke up. We ate breakfast.  Then, for the next 3 HOURS Caleb and Hayden played together nicely with a couple of toy cars.  There was no arguing, no fighting, no need for me to step in as referee.   They did things together, they did things separately.  They disagreed at times, but they compromised, negotiated, used their kind words.  I was planning to do an errand during the morning, but the boys were doing so well that I didn't dare interrupt them. I seriously stayed out of the way that whole time to make sure that my presence didn't somehow cause things to change. Avery and I had a nice time playing and working together. Did I mention that the boys played perfectly together for 3 HOURS?!  Consecutive hours!

Eventually Hayden lost interest in the cars and came to join Avery and me as we colored together.  We had lunch. Avery then took a nap, and the boys split up to do their quiet times. Caleb actually fell asleep, so Hayden and I then had some alone time to read together-- a rare treat.

After nap, we went to the mall to do my errand and to get ice-cream. It was Caleb's last day of summer vacation before starting kindergarten, and earlier in the day he said he would like to celebrate by getting icecream and going to the Honda dealer.  So we went to Coldstone and all got cotton candy icecream, yum! 

The kids resumed play at home with the same toy cars.  We ate dinner. We played. Hayden and Avery went to bed, and since Caleb had napped he was ready to stay up a bit later. He and Matt went to the Honda dealer together.  When they returned I heard all the juicy details about the cars on the lot. 

What a great day! Is it a coincidence that this happened the day before Caleb started kindergarten? I don't know.  For the past few weeks things have been a bit rough. I've felt pulled in 3 directions almost all the time. It seems like developmentally there were huge gaps between the kids this summer, especially Caleb compared to the younger two.  Last week we had our worst grocery trip ever, and I had to end the trip early.  I've been feeling guilty for looking forward so much to school starting! Hopefully there are more days like yesterday in our near future.  It was really nice to have peace in our home for so much of the day. 

2 comments:

Mindy Sauer said...

What, you mean that not every day is as peaceful and harmonious at that one? WHAT?!? I can't believe that I've been lied to all this time ;)

I'm so glad that you're able to savor and enjoy those times with your kids. Having two, I know what you mean about getting frustrated about being pulled in so many different directions. There are days (like yesterday,) where I just want to lock myself in my bedroom and say, "Leave me alone!" ;)

You are such a good mom, Robyn. I can't believe Caleb is off to kindergarten!!!! Unbelievable. And oh, so handsome!(I love how long Avery's hair is getting, too!!)

Amy said...

AWESOME! It's SO nice when they can get along (and for 3 HOURS!!!). I know what you mean about trying to stay out of the way of their play. Funny how they seem to get along better when we aren't right there. I've been noticing lately how difficult it is to accommodate to the different ages and stages of the girls (take, for example, the snow globe incident). I want to give Megan freedom to play with things that are appropriate for her, but it's hard because they aren't all appropriate for Brooklyn. It was easier to do activities when I was a teacher because all the kids were basically at the same developmental level. Hopefully, you'll have many more days like this ahead!