Friday, July 2, 2010

Basketball Love

I finally started playing basketball again. It's been a loooooong time.  I've had some pretty valid reasons for NOT playing over the past several years, in spite of how much I enjoy the sport.  For one thing, we've moved around a lot.  This makes owning a basketball hoop an issue.  Most of the homes we've lived in for the past 5 years haven't been conducive to either a portable or mounted hoop. Second, I've been busy having and caring for babies for the past 6 years. Third, I've had foot problems for the last 3 years, which made wearing anything but sandals quite painful.  Pretty compelling excuses if you ask me.

If I REALLY wanted to, I could have found ways to play, so I guess I didn't REALLY want to play. I just kind-of-wanted to play.  And let me be up front: for me, "play" means "shoot around by myself."  And I am quite content with that.  If I actually tried to play competitively, I would probably pull a muscle or sprain my ankle within minutes.  Eventually I hope to be in good enough shape that I could play competitively if I wanted, but I'm trying to be realistic here and start small.

Back to my story...
This week was particularly stressful for a few different reasons, and yesterday I got to the point where I sent Matt an email in the afternoon that said, "Just to let you know, I really need to get out this evening."  I rarely do this, and Matt knew it meant I was at the end of my rope.  Being the wonderful husband that he is, Matt actually left work EARLY to come home -even though I never expected it of him.  When he walked in the door he handed me his car keys and said (nicely), "See you later."  What a guy, what a treat! And in the nick of time. =)

I hadn't planned out where I was going or what I would do.  The last time this same thing happened I drove to Barnes and Noble and read parenting books for awhile.  Ridiculous, I know. (I should insert that I didn't do this to relax, it's just how desperate I felt at the moment!)  This time, I drove to the sporting good store and bought myself a women's basketball.

It was a great feeling.  Like I was awakening a part of me that had been comatose for a very long time. I came right back home, and was recharged enough to make it through the evening.  When the kids were in bed, I pulled out my basketball shoes from senior year -of high school, that is- and then fitted my new orthotics into the insoles.  I guess times have changed a bit for me. (Read: I'm getting old.)  Then I grabbed my ball and headed over to the neighborhood elementary school to spend some time shooting around on the 9 foot hoops.

What fun.  I even made a few baskets! I am planning to head back early tomorrow morning.  Looking forward to it.

4 comments:

Jill said...

YAY! So glad you had fun! Makes me want to come shoot hoops with you for old times sake. =)If only you didn't live on the other side of the continent...

Amy said...

What a great stress reliever!

Robyn said...

It sure is a great stress reliever! =)

Jill, I would LOVE to shoot hoops together sometime... I occasionally think about the possibility of a basketball reunion in the new CCA gym someday. Unlikely to happen, but it sure would be fun, wouldn't it?

Mindy Sauer said...

That is fantastic, Robyn! There are other things you could have done to relieve the stress, but I dare say, you've found a healthy alternative! ;) And thank God for such an understanding husband... and wisdom to know when to ask for help. Us moms aren't too good at that. You go, girl!