Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kaua'i Getaway

Ok, I am not feeling particularly articulate or creative, but I've got a moment to blog, so I am forging ahead with this post, knowing full well it will probably end up sounding like it was written by a 3rd grader. 

Ahem, anyway... Last week was the week I had been anticipating for 8 months-- the week Matt and I journeyed to Kaua'i. It was an amazing trip! The first reason it was amazing was because of the setting. Kaua'i is a beautiful place- it really felt like paradise, as you can see from the pics below.


The second reason the vacation was amazing was because Matt and I went without the kids.  I don't even think I can articulate how much I needed a break from my three delightful-all-the-time angels ;) Of course I love them dearly, but I've been feeling worn out and emotionally spent for quite some time now.  So on this trip I enjoyed many luxuries:
-read a book (without pictures) on the airplane
-drink pop at dinner
-ride in the car without the pressure of keeping a certain toddler reasonably happy and quiet
-complete sentences and even *gasp* entire conversations without interruption
-eat dinner after 5:30pm
-go to the beach with only my towel in hand
-choose my bedtime without feeling like I should take into account how many times I expected to be woken up during the night
-get up and out of bed in the morning when I felt like it

The list could go on.  We were sure to pick a bunch of activities that we wouldn't have the chance to do (or at least not as easily) if we were vacationing with the kids.  Snorkeling, hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming in the ocean waves.  We were very active, and yet the days were still quite relaxing!

I think this may have been my most favorite trip ever, due partly to how much we just needed a break. It was so nice to have the time alone with Matt and spend time together like we did before the kids were born. Everything went so perfectly and smoothly. The kids did GREAT with Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Mike in San Jose, the travel went as planned, our hotel was amazing, etc, etc. I am so thankful for the chance to take this vacation with Matt and that it was to such a beautiful destination. And now Matt and I are trying to figure out when we can getaway like this again next!

2 comments:

Kate's Space said...

Fabulous! I am so happy for you. =) Your pics are gorgeous too. I've not yet been on Kauai - I think I will be adding it to my list! The other three main islands are so fabulous - I suppose I should make sure I get there too.

Mindy Sauer said...

Wooooohooooo!! Sounds wonderful, Robyn! I am so glad that you were able to enjoy such a well-deserved time away with Matt. Looks beautiful!

And can I just say how impressed I am? Two things. The fact that you POSTED a picture of yourself in.your.bathing.suit and secondly, you look AMAZING!!! Three kids, are you kidding me??? You are one HOT MAMA!!