For Lent this year I decided to take a break from Facebook. I like Facebook as a way of keeping up with out-of-town friends in a casual way. It's nice to hear snippets of whatever is going on in my friends' lives, and it's easy to do this with Facebook compared to writing laborious emails. And I've been able to keep in touch with people that I would have otherwise been completely out of contact. And did I mention the pictures? I love seeing my friends' pictures, and it's fun to share mine with them as well.
So why the fast? I haven't consistently made sacrifices during the Lenten season each year. I've noticed that Facebook can be an escape for me. I'm in the habit of checking my account very frequently during the day, and sometimes it's just because I think (subconsciously) to myself, "I wonder if any of my friends is as miserable as I am right now," or, "Maybe there's something more interesting happening on facebook than there is in my house." In and of itself this is not a bad thing, but it CAN be bad.
In giving up Facebook for Lent I am making a concerted effort to turn to God instead of my cyber friends. (Don't be offended, I know you are all REAL people-- most of you anyway.) (That last part is a joke.) I want to be more fully present at home- with my kids- rather than escaping life's daily stress by running to the computer. Instead of thinking about what I am missing out on, I want to focus on how- with God's help- I can make things better at home. When I feel stressed or lonely I need to rely more on God and less on myself.
So that is my hope for Lent. Admittedly, I find myself hoping I don't miss out on too many of my friends' pictures. And throughout the day I still do status updates in my head. Now THAT'S embarrassing! We're 3 days into Lent, so hopefully the update habit breaks soon!! =) So far though, the fast has been very positive and serving its purpose quite well.
Facebook friends, I'll see you after Easter! (But feel free to email me in the mean time.)
Friday, February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think facebook is a great site to give up for lent becuase we don't realize how much time it is really taking up! I should consider this for the future.....I wonder how much I miss in my household when I am on facebook....you have made think into this quite a bit!! :)
Post a Comment